Sunday, January 11, 2009

S&G Night Heron Build Notes – Gluing the Coaming

Well this was a bit tricky! For the life of me I couldn’t get the cutout coaming risers to bend round the curve of the cockpit cutout. I tried kerfing every inch, I tried kerfing much less than an inch (bad idea), I tried a heat gun (good idea). In the end the result was a lot of fine line cracks at the points that I’d cut kerfs. I’m not too fussed. I can easily adjust the final strength by changing the amount of fibreglass I lay on; and now I’ve had success with fibreglassing the inside of the deck that doesn’t bother me one bit.

One thing I was a bit surprised about – how come I couldn’t get the two coaming risers to meet neatly? There was a 5mm gap that I had to plug with a bit of ply. Coaming risers didn't meet together exactly and a shim was needed. Hmm, I should've sanded it down a trifle...

Hmm, just looking at that photograph I can see I should’ve sanded the insert down a mm or two. Nevermind.

The surprising thing for me looking from the top down is how come the top of the coaming still fits neatly. Obviously the risers must have been cut out ok. No problem, it was easy to plug and actually I quite like the way it’s on an angle. I wonder what a riser would look like made of angled strips?

As for the final product see below. Obviously I’ve yet to fibreglass it. Currently I’ve just glued the pieces. I’m going to fillet tomorrow the fibreglass within the next day or so.

Coaming installed. THe cut out on the table was a (failed) idea to help me support a number of uprights to assist bending the coaming upriser.

A quick note here about the use of cyano-acrylate glue. I didn’t use it but I’m thinking perhaps I should’ve. I liked the idea that I could use the epoxy and it would give me time to set it up right whereas I was worried that with CA glue I’d fix into the wrong place too quickly. In retrospect it probably would’ve made the stitching and this coaming much faster.

No comments: