Tuesday, October 05, 2010

New Kayak Build: Black Pearl

Two years on from building a Guillemot Kayaks Night Heron stitch and glue I’ve just purchased plans for a Bjorn Thomasson Black Pearl. The Night Heron is a great kayak that’s very quick in the water but I just enjoyed the building side too much so I’ve decided to try building a strip kayak. Rather than go with something closer to the Night Heron I decided to go down a slightly different path:

  • As light as possible – means small or low volume
  • Doesn’t need speed – the Night Heron fulfils that requirement for me
  • Play boat – I’ve taken up canoe polo so I want the most manuverable sea kayak experience I can get – something that will respond to hip/torso movement.

I think the Black Pearl will do this but the proof will be in the pudding. You don’t just order this off the book – the plans are custom printed to your height, arm span and hip measurements.

I’ll update the blog as I go. It will take awhile – no rush as I have an existing kayak already.

2 comments:

Tom Georgeson said...

Hi Bohdan,
Miriam mentioned you were starting a new kayak in a facebook chat with Diane. Sounds good. Doesn't look like a kayak in the photos yet but I like the tailor fit. I see you are using Paulownia. Is this available locally - I hear it's great for a strip planked surf board called a Alaia - old Hawaiian style.

We're all coming back for a visit in March. Looking forward to seeing the old and new kayaks and yourselves of course. Wonder if I could take back some paulownia....

Cheers
Tom

Bohdan Szymanik said...

It'll be good to see you all! I have some Paulownia strips left but I'm going to need a little bit more - probably will just get a cedar plank and use it to provide some colour difference to the much lighter paulownia.